Data Support Engineer | Dexibit HQ, Auckland, NZ
Capacity: Full time
Location: Dexibit’s Auckland office
Reports to: VP of Engineering
Who we are and what we do
Do you love dinosaurs and data? At Dexibit we’re a kiwi SaaS company providing big data analytics to visitor attractions. From museums to zoos to theme parks, we work with big names such as the Smithsonian, Royal Palaces and NASA alongside your favorite places here in New Zealand like MOTAT and Weta. We’re a diverse, empowered team who have collected a fair few awards in our time from HiTech, NZIBA, TIN and more!
Dexibit predicts and analyzes visitor behavior to help bring more visitors through the door, engaging and coming back. Our product includes forecasts, insights and dashboards powered by machine learning, natural language processing and more. We serve predominantly larger venues through an enterprise sales business model.
There’s never been a more important time to help the world’s culture and entertainment sectors as they reopen and recover after COVID-19. Being early in our journey, internationally focused and with an exciting modernization program underway too, there’s lots of opportunities for career growth.
Success and Engineering at Dexibit
At Dexibit, we’re a SaaS company where product sits at the heart intersecting sales, success, marketing, engineering and the business. We’re an enterprise grade solution platform comprising a user application together with a deep data engineering stack which takes data from 60 industry specific integrations through a data lake, pipelines and data warehouse, and is feature-ready for machine learning models. Our users are primarily business personas from visitor service operations, finance and marketing. While we continue to innovate, we’re also modernizing our tech stack to React and NodeJS for our client application and automating our data pipelines.
Support Engineering is a brand new role at Dexibit, offering you the opportunity to contribute in building this function from the ground up. As a Data Support Engineer, you’ll participate in making our customers successful by solving technical problems, creating resources, and defining processes. You’ll work closely with Customer Success, Sales and Product Engineering.
Our Engineering teams work in a variety of languages that include Java (using the framework Vaadin) for our legacy modules, Python for our existing pipelines and APIs, Kotlin for our new automated pipelines and our newest BE services and React and NodeJS for the frontend. They manage their work through Jira alongside Bitbucket for version control and deployments with a goal to have infrastructure as code in each repository. Other tools and services are used to support the development and maintenance of the product, including AWS, Datadog, Confluence and Lucidchart.
Our Success team is responsible for designing and developing Dexibit’s customer experience and success processes, systems, organization and metrics. It is also responsible for the success of a portfolio of named clients, providing onboarding and support services, helping drive adoption and outcomes, and delivering Dexibit’s renewal and expansion target to grow recurring revenue.
What you’ll get up to
Your work will include solving technical issues for current customers and prospects, delivering technical enablement, writing documentation, integrating customers’ data sources into our systems, and helping to design processes to drive efficiency and collaboration across teams. This role is a technical jack of all trades – if you enjoy fast paced startup environments, solving problems, and working cross functionally, this role is for you!
Our team is huge on personal development, so you’ll enjoy regular team learning and reading group sessions to keep your mind sharp. We provide opportunities to take you to new technical places or leadership challenges, and the chance to share your own knowledge with the team. Each week, you’ll also have a regular 1:1 chat with your manager to make sure you’re always growing and learning.
We operate in a flexible way, with a mix of in office or remote work options. Our Success Team are often early starters to make the most of our time zone window with our team overseas or to connect directly with customers globally.
Our team regularly gathers for fun social events such as kitchen teas, brown bags and happy hours, with lots of opportunities to mix with our second office in Washington DC. Once a quarter the wider company team assembles for a comprehensive business review to provide strategic context and the chance to connect with other aspects of the company – plus our legendary team building outings which take us out to enjoy unique visitor experiences first hand.
- Resolving customer issues and requests. Together with the help of Product and Success, you will triage incoming requests and either solve or escalate to Product Engineering teams.
- Providing technical support. You’ll have a hands-on approach to helping customers and communicating with them via email and/or video conferencing.
- Investigating product bugs. For reported or discovered bugs, you will be responsible for the initial investigation, creating a ticket and working on small fixes where applicable/appropriate.
- Manually updating customer data and integrations. We’re in a transition phase where manual data manipulation (e.g. uploading specific data from different sources) is still necessary for our customers to get the most out of our product.
- Elaboration of our processes. In collaboration with Product and Success, you will help define and implement Support workflows.
- Sharing customers’ needs with Product. You will gain a deep understanding of our customers’ pain points and needs while interacting closely with them and will be able to share these back with Product Managers to help them define and shape the product goals, roadmap, priorities and strategy.
What you’ll bring
- 2+ years of experience. Ideally in Data Support Engineering or similar roles (Success Engineering, Data Engineering, Product Engineering, or Sales Engineering).
- Technical experience in data. This includes SQL and relational databases, and Python.
- Some further technical knowledge or interest. This could include integration using APIs, Java, and AWS (particularly S3 and Lambdas).
- A hunger to solve data-driven and technical problems. Our product is about big data so you’re not afraid of digging into different sets of data to fix a given issue.
- A desire to make our customers successful and happy. Customers are at the core of the Support Engineering team.
- A high degree of ownership. We’re in a startup environment where a bias for action will have a higher impact.
- An interest in writing the playbook. As an early member in Support Engineering, you’ll help define our strategy and process and execute on it.
- An ability to work cross functionally. Your role will be called upon to work with customer success, product, and engineering.
Get insights delivered right to your inbox
Want to learn more about Dexibit?
Talk to one of our expert team about your vision to discover your data strategy and see Dexibit in action.